Thursday, August 20, 2009

Carrot, Coconut, and Walnut Muffins


I am a big fan of vegetables in my baked goods. Okay, well two vegetables in particular. Give me anything baked with zucchini or carrots and I am a happy camper. These muffins are a perfect breakfast or mid-morning treat. I loved the carrot and coconut together and the nuts added a little crunch. They were great!

Enjoy!

Carrot, Coconut, and Walnut Muffins

1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
2 cups grated raw carrot (about 2-3 peeled carrots)
1 large apple, peeled and grated
2 cups flour
1 1/4 cups white sugar
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of ground nutmeg
1 cup coconut (divided)
3 large eggs
3/4 cup canola oil
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place rack in center of oven. Coat the muffin tray in cooking spray.
Toast the walnuts for about 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool and then chop coarsely.
Peel and finely grate the carrots and apple. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ground cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir in the nuts and half of the coconut. Set aside. In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, oil, and vanilla extract. Fold the wet ingredients, along with the grated carrot and apple, into the flour mixture, stirring just until moistened. Pour evenly into prepared muffin tray and top with remaining coconut.

Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. Serve with butter and enjoy.

3 comments:

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I've never baked with veggies! I really need to as I know I'm missing out.

Btw, how's the move? Settling in? Hope its going well!
~ingrid

Shelby said...

These look so yummy. I've been so lazy since coming home that I haven't baked a thing yet...and I'll be home a week tomorrow!

I love Pam's site! :-)

Katy ~ said...

These sound like a scrumptious way to start the day! I would certainly love these!

Related Posts with Thumbnails