Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Daring Baker Challenge: Dobos Torta

The August 2009 Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Angela of A Spoonful
of Sugar and Lorraine of Not Quite Nigella. They chose the spectacular Dobos
Torte based on a recipe from Rick Rodgers' cookbook Kaffeehaus: Exquisite
Desserts from the Classic Caffés of Vienna, Budapest, and Prague.



A Dobos Torta is a five layer sponge cake filled with chocolate buttercream and topped with caramel. The Dobos Torta can vary in the number of layers, too. If you check out the Daring Baker blogroll, I'm sure you'll see an amazing variety.




I ended up baking the cake in an 8x8 pan and then cutting that into 9 squares. I then cut each square in half and made three 6 layer tortes. I decided against making the caramel for the top layer of the cake. Instead, I used caramel sauce I had in the fridge. It made things much easier, plus I needed to use the caramel sauce before we move!



The cake was good, but it didn't stand out for me. I think the appeal of this cake comes from the layers and the fact that it looks pretty when sliced. (Nathan said it looks like a Kit-Kat cake!)There was nothing bad about the cake, but also nothing spectacular. Who knows, maybe spreading the top layer with caramel would've made a difference, but I don't think it could possibly make that big of a difference.

I'm glad I was able to complete the challenge even if it wasn't amazing for me. I may have to sit out the next two, depending on what they are. We will be in Arizona for most of September and may not have our household goods delivered early enough in October to get the challenge completed.



As always, check out the DB Blogroll! :)

16 comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

I've never participated in a bakers challenge. It sounds like a lot of fun. Your "kit kat cake" looks very pretty.

Katy ~ said...

The cake does look elegant. I have that book, made a couple of things from it, and found that the food is prettier than it tastes. I don't think it's you at all.

Lauren said...

even though it wasn't the most spectacular recipe, you did a great job!!!! ;)

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I really admire you! You manange your house, the kids,and jump into these challenges fearlessly. On top of which you successful adapt them to suit your taste and family size!

Looks great, Cristine!
~ingrid

Megan said...

It does look like a big kit kat bar!

Too bad it wasn't spectacular for you -

Rose said...

Great job! It was a bit of a challenge :D

Anonymous said...

Your torte looks wonderful!

Lori said...

What part of AZ are you going to? Are you going temporarily or moving? I use to live in Phoenix and I have relatives in Tucson.

I didnt like the caramel but I think I would like it the way you did yours. The one I made stuck to our teeth. Ew. shhhh threw it out. But the cake- my husband said it was the best cake ever. Can you believe it? I liked it but my fav was the Opera cake.

I am so impressed you go this done with all the stuff going on. Great job Christine.

Fit Chick said...

At least you tried, even if it wasn't quite what you had hoped for. What a change from Germany to AZ, good luck with the move and welcome back!

Flourchild said...

I hope your move goes well My parents are snow birds and go to AZ during our Idaho winters. Sorry the cake wasn't super tasty for you. It looks pretty! I made the TWD cheesecake bars today and let me tell you they are GOOD!

teresa said...

i'm sorry you didn't like it as much as you hoped, but it looks amazing!

Maryanna said...

What a beautiful cake. It makes me want to dive in and eat.

Parita said...

Very well done! cake looks divine:)

Susan @ SGCC said...

I know what you mean about this torte being just okay. I felt the same way. It looks lovely though. Well done!

isa said...

Beautiful cake! Sounds delicious with the caramel sauce!

Shelby said...

So pretty!

Related Posts with Thumbnails