Monday, October 25, 2010

Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle

I've been wanting to make a pumpkin gingerbread trifle for a while now but haven't done it yet. Last week a friend wrote me on Facebook asking if I had a good recipe for a pumpkin trifle. I gave her the basics of what I had in mind (didn't have a recipe yet) and then she got to work on hers. She made a slightly different version and posted pictures and that sealed the deal for me. Less than an hour after she posted her pictures I had my gingerbread baking in the oven! :)

I knew I wanted 3 basic components in my trifle: gingerbread, pumpkin mousse, and some sort of cream cheese layer. I ended up keeping the cream cheese simple (cream cheese and powdered sugar thinned out with a little cream) and I love how it balanced out the gingerbread and pumpkin.

I enjoyed this trifle very much and am pleased with how it turned out. I can't wait to make it again!

Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle


1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 egg
1/2 cup molasses
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup hot water

Cream Cheese Mixture:

4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup powdered sugar
Milk or cream for thinning

Pumpkin Mousse:

1 cup pumpkin puree
1 1/2 cups heavy cream, divided
1/4 cup plus 2 TBSP sugar
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

For the gingerbread:

Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8 inch square pan.

In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the egg, and mix in the molasses.

In a bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Mix into the creamed mixture. Stir in the hot water. Pour mixture into pan.

Bake 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool to room temperature and then cut into 1" cubes.

For the cream cheese mixture:

Mix cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add milk or cream until desired consistency is reached. (I preferred mine a little more pudding like, but you could leave it thicker if you wanted.)

For the pumpkin mousse:

Combine pumpkin, 1/2 cup cream, sugar, and pumpkin pie spice in saucepan. Heat for 5 minutes. Let cool completely.

Whip remaining cream until soft peaks form. Fold into cooled pumpkin mixture.

To assemble trifle:

Divide gingerbread cubes into 3 equal piles (save 2 or 3 cubes for crumbling on top). Assemble as follows:

1/3 gingerbread cubes
1/2 pumpkin mousse
1/3 gingerbread cubes
All of cream cheese mixture
1/3 gingerbread cubes
1/2 pumpkin mousse

Can decorate the top with whipped cream rosettes, if desired, or crumbled gingerbread.


Coleen's Recipes said...

How wonderful!! It certainly is pumpkin season. This sounds delicious.

Flourchild said...

You have been a busy little baker lately! I am loving all of these pumpkin treats you have made!! It's such a wonderful time of year to bake.
I love the looks of this one!

The Grows said...

This looks delicious. A Cristine trifle made out of pumpkin, gingerbread, and cream chese. Oh I want some.

Ingrid said...

I have wanted to make a gingerbread pumpkin trifle for years! That's it I'm gonna do it! Yours looks perfect!

Megan said...

Oh my goodness - pumpkin, gingerbread, mousse, icing - I'm in heaven!!

Jess said...

Oh my - this combines so many of my favorite things. This would be perfect for a Thanksgiving dessert.

Lori said...

I made something similar to this a few Thanksgivings ago- from Paula Deen. We loved it. I will only make it if we have enough company so it can get polished off by others and not solely by me. Ha!

Related Posts with Thumbnails